A huge fire that gutted 15 shops and partially damaged a house in the capital of central Parwan province has been doused after hectic efforts lasting more than three hours, residents said on Monday.
The blaze was caused by a firework display by children celebrating the Eidul Fitr festival in a shop and then it quickly spread to other shops selling second-hand garments and food items, Masroor, one of the shopkeepers, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The fire was extinguished without causing any injuries after hectic efforts of three hours and 45 minutes, he said, claiming shop owners suffered about two million afghanis in damage. He said his garments worth 300,000 afghanis were reduced to ashes.
Resident Shahidullah Habib said children were using firecrackers to celebrate the festival when the fire occurred in one of the shops. The fire also spread to a nearby house, but there were no injuries, he said.
He said the fire brigade reached the site half an hour later the fire had been doused.
The eyewitness said shopkeepers could not save their goods due to heavy smoke and flames.
Deputy police chief Gen. Ziaul Rahman said a number of shops selling firecrackers had been sealed ahead of Eidul Fitr to avoid the occurrence of such incidents.